Friday, February 1, 2013

So, enough about me...

Everyone knows it's illegal to be asked about gender, marital or family status, age, nationality/citizenship, and religion during an interview... but you should also be very careful what you offer as well.

Now, I have worked in the for- and non-profit sectors, and some applicants have the finesse to talk about themselves a bit. Sometimes, that's ok. Sometimes, it's part of a natural, comfortable conversation. As long as it's a small disclosure from the candidate that makes sense to include, then no biggie really. We all smile and move on.

That being said, here is a list of super fun things that have actually been said to me during an interview which should NEVER, EVER, EVER BE REPEATED. For real.

  • "I just live for my kids. Do you have any kids? You look like a mom. I bet you're a great mom."  No kidding, kids. Speaking of kids, Don't Speak of Kids. Not yours, and certainly not the ones you assume anyone else has. A million water-colored pictures of bears and giraffes with holiday family photos on the interviewers desk is still not an invitation into their personal lives.
  • "I want to work for XXX company because I have XXX disorder/disease/sickness/affliction/whatever." Admitting anything like this is just opening a huge HR nightmare. Now the HR person knows things they shouldn't legally know about you and you have to believe they won't use it for/against your case to be hired. Even in a charity/non-profit situation where you want to show your level of empathy or understanding, state you have a personal connection to the mission without telling your personal health information.
  • "I like working with the door closed to my office; is that cool?" Seriously? I know now you can't play well with others, would prefer to hide or play on YouTube all day rather than work, that you aren't attentive enough to tolerate distractions, and have the audacity to assume you get an office, let alone one with a door. So, yeah, not a good idea.
  • "I was fired from XXX company, but hated that place." There are a hundred ways to explain leaving a company or even being terminated without saying something that includes this. Don't throw your old boss under a bus, either. If something occurred out of your control (such as reorganization), state that instead of that the company changed your job and your new boss just didn't "get you" and was a total micro-manager and that's why you left screaming profanities and keying his car. Let's leave those details out.
  • How long before I can move up in the organization? If you are interested in learning if the position has an opportunity for growth later, state it with some etiquette. Blatantly telling me this job is a quick stepping stone for you will win you no favors.
  • You know what I hate? My immediate guess is class and professionalism.

Remember, first impressions are EVERYTHING. Learn how to properly shake hands and keep eye contact, and leave the personal details at home where they belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment